For both residential and commercial buildings, the process of hiring a roofing contractor to get your roof fixed can be quite overwhelming. You must know what you are doing, especially when it comes to commercial roofing. You don’t want to end up with a badly done job or worst still get duped in the process. Either case will have serious consequences on your business since it means you will have to be closed down for more days than necessary. Here are some tips that can help you with finding the right commercial roofing companies like aplusroofinggutters.com near Cedar Rapids Iowa.
1. Don’t rush : While this doesn’t sound so much like good advice, since a roofing problem is an emergency, taking your time to check out roofers before you hire will save you a lot of stress and even money in the long run. Putting yourself under pressure might make you agree to hire an unsolicited salesperson or just any quack roofer right off the bat. You might also skip some crucial steps in the hiring process because you are in a hurry to get the job done. All of these can have serious consequences in the long run.
2. Do your research: find out the best roofing companies around you. That information is closer to you than you can imagine. A simple search online for the best roofers in your area should turn up some interesting options. Ask around for referrals also. You stand fewer chances of getting scammed if the company you are hiring has been used by someone in the past.
- Background checks: before you hire any roofing company or sign a contract, be sure to do a thorough background check. Even when a commercial roofing company comes highly recommended or has good reviews online, you should still carry out your checks. Some basic information you should verify includes:
- License and permit from the city of Cedar rapids
- Insurance information
- A permanent place of business, tax ID and other contact details
Verify and confirm that all of these information checks out before you hire.
4. Get estimates and compare your option: this is rule is more about getting the best deal than the authenticity of a company. After completing the previous steps above, you should be able to narrow down your options. Have the remaining companies on your list carry out an inspection of your property and prepare a detailed estimate and compare what they are offering. Keep in mind that offers that are too good to be true might be just that.
5. Check for experience: this isn’t merely about how long the company has been in business. Some roofers only specialize in residential buildings. Such companies might not be a good choice for your commercial roof. Some companies are also not familiar with certain roof types. Ask questions about this and be satisfied before you hire.
6. Work with your insurer: if you have an insurance policy on your home, then some aspects of your roofing repair are likely covered by it. Be sure that your roofer is working with your insurance adjuster all through the process.
7. Get a roofing contract: before the commencement of work, ask the roofing company you intend to hire to draw up a roofing contractor. This is expected to contain a detailed itemization of the scope of work to be carried out, the terms of the deal, warranty and refund policies among other vital details. Make sure you are satisfied with every detail on the contract before signing it.
Even after the repair or replacement work begins on your roof, you should still monitor the project until it is concluded. Be sure to inspect thoroughly and be satisfied with the work done before you sign the certificate of completion when the work is done.